Mandatory Commercial Recycling FAQ

Why does my business have to recycle? 

Recycling of targeted materials is required by law for most businesses and governmental agencies. The County encourages businesses to reduce, reuse recycle, and rebuy products made of recycled content. 

Who is affected by the Mandatory Recycling Law?

All California businesses, including governmental agencies that produce 4 cubic yards or more of solid waste including recyclables per week must recycle.  Multi-family dwellings, including but not limited to, apartments, condominiums, and mobile home parks of 5 units or more must also recycle.  

How do I know if I generate more than 4 cubic yards of solid waste per week?

Check your current waste hauling bill or call your hauler (for County of Tehama or Red Bluff call (530) 528-8500 for the City of Corning call (530) 824-4700), if you are not sure of your bin size.

One cubic yard is equivalent to 3 feet by 3 feet by 3 feet of waste. Four cubic yards equals to about (27) 30 gallon trash bags.

Please note, if your business has bins that provide an equivalent capacity you are required to recycle (i.e., if you have a 2 cubic yard bin and it is picked up twice a week, then you are required to recycle).

If you self-haul your waste to the landfill and you produce four or more cubic yards of waste and recyclables per week you are required to recycle.  Please call (530) 528-1103 for assistance.

What are the benefits of this law?  

  • The more recyclable materials a business can divert from their trash, the greater the potential savings and/or reduction in costs. 
  • According to 2008 Statewide Waste Characterization data, the commercial sector generates nearly three-fourths of the solid waste in California. Most of the commercial sector waste disposed in landfills is recyclable. 
  • Recycling reduces emissions of methane, air toxics, and criteria pollutants from landfills. 
  • Recycling frees up space in the Tehama County/Red Bluff Landfill. 
  • The more businesses and residents recycle, the greater the ability for the Tehama County Solid Waste Management Agency to meet the statewide recycling goal of 75% of by 2020. 

To see how recycling can benefit your business through reduced waste disposal costs and reductions in related emissions, click here to access CalRecycle’s Commercial Climate Calculator

How can businesses save and/or reduce monthly service charges?
To give you a picture, in February 2021 Red Bluff Gas in Red Bluff explored various options for cost savings while complying with the Mandatory Commercial Recycling Ordinance.

Their usual service was: (1) 4cy bin @1x/week of Trash = $252.50 per month

Three options were considered using GreenWaste of Tehama commercial service:

  1.  @ 33.33% Recycling….

      1-4cy@1x/wk of Trash = $252.50

      1-2cy@1x/wk of Recycling= $64.53

      Total Cost = $317.03 per month

Increase of $64.53 per month

  1. @ 40% Recycling…

      1-3cy@1x/wk of Trash = $185.16

      1-2cy@1x/wk of Recycling= $64.53

      Total Cost = $249.69

Savings of $2.81 per month

  1. @ 50% Recycling…

      1-2cy@1x/wk of Trash = $129.07

      1-2cy@1x/wk of Recycling = $64.53

      Total Cost = $193.60

Savings of $58.90 per month

Red Bluff Gas chose option 2 that best fit their business needs and reduced their per month service charge by $2.81. By using this option Red Bluff Gas is being a leader by recycling 40% of their waste stream. Thanks Red Bluff Gas!

Where can I find more information on the Mandatory Commercial Recycling Law? 

For more information on the Mandatory Commercial Recycling Law (AB 341) please see the California Resources, Recycling, and Recovery (CalRecycle) website

Who can I contact for recycling services? 

GreenWaste of Tehama (for Red Bluff and the unincorporated County) (530) 528-8500 –offers single stream recycling (all recycling in one bin; sorting of glass, plastic, paper, cans, etc. into separate bins is NOT required) This is the easiest of options, but there are small fees.

Waste Management (City of Corning only) (530) 824-4700 –offers single stream recycling (all recycling in one bin; sorting of glass, plastic, paper, cans, etc. into separate bins is NOT required) This is the easiest of options, but there are small fees.

North Valley Services  (530) 527-0407 Ext. 104 (Free -paper recycling only).

Self Haul -You can also self-haul your recyclables to the Tehama County/Red Bluff Landfill’s Recycling Facility. Source separated recyclables are FREE to drop off, please call (530) 528-1103 for details.

California Redemption Value (CRV) Collection Centers – Provide deposit refunds for cans and bottles. Some CRV centers collect other recyclables for free, call the specific recycling center for details. 

What steps are required to comply? 

The law does not state which waste types must be recycled, but some waste types are easier to recycle than others. Your business must:

Separate your recyclable materials from your trash and take them to a CRV collection center or to the Tehama County/Red Bluff Landfill’s Recycling Facility.                   


Subscribe to a service for the collection of recyclables by a permitted hauler mentioned above. 

What support is available to assist me in meeting the requirements of the law

Tehama County Solid Waste Management Agency’s Recycling Program Analyst can conduct free business waste assessments to help businesses identify how they can implement their own recycling programs. In some instances we can also offer 3 free months of free recycling service while we ‘right size’ your waste and recycling containers. We also offer free office and cafeteria recycling containers, while supplies last. We are here to help you. Recycling is EASY and SAVES MONEY!

I have a food and beverage service establishment. Do my customers have to recycle too?

Your business is required to recycle, if you produce 4 or more cubic yards of waste per week. It is up to you to determine, if you will require your customers to do the recycling or if you will do the recycling for them.

Easy items to recycle include aluminum, steel cans and beverage containers; all colors of glass food and beverage containers; empty plastic food and beverage containers #1-#7, including water bottles; and all cardboard boxes. Expanded Polystyrene (Styrofoam) is not recyclable in Tehama County.  Call (530) 528-1103 for details.

We are here to assist you!

Skip to content