Assessment Appeals

TEHAMA COUNTY BOARD OF EQUALIZATION- Assessment Appeals: The property taxes you pay are based on your property’s assessed value, as determined by the Tehama County Assessor’s Office. If you disagree with the Assessor’s value, you can appeal that value to the Tehama County Board of Equalization.

Talk to the Tehama County Assessor first. You may not need to file a formal appeal if you talk with the Assessor’s staff first. They can:

1) Explain your property’s assessed value
2) Answer any questions you may have about the assessment
3) Review any additional, pertinent information you may provide

If the Assessor’s staff discovers an error, they may be able to reduce your property’s assessed value to correct that error and you may not need to file an appeal.  If however, you and the County Assessor cannot reach an agreement, you can usually appeal your assessment to the Tehama County Board of Equalization (which is also the Board of Supervisors). If you do appeal, you must file an Application for Changed Assessment and your application must be filed on a timely basis. The assessment appeal filing period varies each year. Please contact the Clerk of the Board’s Office at 527-3287 for the current filing period.  You may acquire an Application of Changed Assessment form at the Clerk of the Board of Equalization’s Office at 633 Washington Street, Room 12, County Courthouse; you can receive the application by mail at P.O. Box 250, Red Bluff, CA 96080; or you can obtain the form here.

Useful Links:

Skip to content